Forum

tmzVPS Official Community Forum

Guide to hardening WHM/Cpanel

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by cowboy Mike, Feb 8, 2013.

1. cowboy Mike

cowboy Mike New Member

Howdy,
    I would like to see a guide that takes a person through the steps to further harden WHM after tmz has turned it over to us. I am new to this and have spent quite a bit of time trying to navigate these waters in WHM.

However, because I am inexperienced its difficult to know which boxes to check and which ones not to check. I am the only one on the server so for me it should be relatively straight forward and easy but I am overwhelmed by all the choices. And there are a ton of them!

For example, do I move the ssh port? Do I disable ssh? Do I disable password authentication? What should the cphulk brute force setting be? Should I run Quick Security Scan? Should I uninstall Frontpage extensions if they would be used? Is it ok to upgrade CSF?Didnt know ne was available just happened to see it. I wasnt notified.

Anyways you probably get my drift. :)

It would be nice to have some guidelines and recommendations from tmz vps. ;)

2. Kyle Cannon

Kyle Cannon Member

Hello cowboy Mike,

That's a great request, I'll add this to my to-do list and talk it over with our team. I'll update you here after I've received more information.

3. cowboy Mike

cowboy Mike New Member

Howdy,
    I am reposting this to correct some misspells with the hope tmzvps will address this subject.

I would like to see a guide that takes a person through the steps to further harden WHM after tmzvps has turned it over to us. I am new to this and have spent quite a bit of time trying to navigate these waters in WHM.

However, because I am inexperienced its difficult to know which boxes to check and which ones not to check.

I am the only one on the server so for me it should be relatively straight forward and easy but I am overwhelmed by all the choices. And there are a ton of them!

For example:
    Do I move the ssh port?
    Do I disable ssh?
    Do I disable password authentication?
    What should the cphulk brute force settings be?
    Should I run Quick Security Scan?
    Should I uninstall Frontpage extensions if they wouldn't be used?
    Is it ok to upgrade CSF? Didnt know it was available just happened to see it. I wasnt notified.

Anyways you probably get my drift. :)

It would be nice to have some guidelines and recommendations from tmz vps. ;)
    Happy trails, Mike

4. Daniel

Daniel Administrator Staff Member

Hello Mike,

I have put this on our TO-DO list. We will hopefully have one within the next 2 weeks.

Thanks,
    Dan

5. cowboy Mike

cowboy Mike New Member

Sure would be nice to get this.