COMMUNITY FORUM

How to Install Joomla on a VPS

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by dataslot, Oct 17, 2012.

1. dataslot

dataslot New Member

I have no idea! So I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me :confused:

I have visited the Joomla website and downloaded the latest version, but that's pretty much as far as my skills stretch. I've read the start of the Installation Manual and Quickstart Guide, but after a few pages I get a bit lost as I'm lacking a little in the brain department.

Please, please would someone help me out!

2. Big Dan

Big Dan New Member

Hi dataslot,

Since Joomla is database driven you need to login to your cPanel account and create a mySQL Database for it. There's a wizard and it's pretty straight forward.

db-cpanel.png

Click on mySQL Database Wizard button and follow the prompts. You will need to write down the following details are you fill them in: Database name, database username, and database password. You will need to enter these in Joomla during the install process.

Next you want to unzip the Joomla package you downloaded to your computer. Log in to your site via FTP and upload all the Joomla files to your public_html holder. Go to yoursite.com/installation and follow the install prompts.

3. dataslot

dataslot New Member

Thanks Big Dan! I will give it a go later this evening (I hope!) and let you know how it goes :)

4. Daniel

Daniel Administrator

Let us know how it goes.

- Daniel :)

5. jhonkelly100

jhonkelly100 New Member

When searching for the best Joomla web hosting, you must also consider how you will actually install the software on your account. This is no problem for some, but it can be confusing for others. If you are not familiar with technologies such as FTP and MySQL, then you might have a tough time getting the platform up and running. This can all be solved by finding a hosting company that offers Joomla in a one-click installation.
    we have many customers who manage Joomla sites on our servers, You would need to install Joomla yourself once your hosting plan has been activated and you've received your server/plan details in your Welcome Email. We do help to make this easier though, with tools such as our 1-click Joomla Utilities installer.

Best Regards
    Vpswebserver.com