Forum

tmzVPS Official Community Forum

Xenforo vs vBulletin vs IPB

Discussion in 'Scripts & Programming' started by Turtle, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Turtle

Turtle New Member

Out of Xenforo, vBulletin and IPB what do you prefer and why? I like IPB because of the design but I like Xenforo because of functionality. What software to you like better any why?

2. Kyle Cannon

Kyle Cannon Member

Personally I prefer Xenforo only because its a lightweight script and it has a clean UI. I'm not saying I hate vBulliten as vB5 looks amazing from what i've seen, but looks kinda like Xenforo in my opinion.

I also do agree with you about IPB it does have a nice design, but i've never worked with it so I can't comment on that! :)

Ashley.S. likes this.
  3. Daniel

Daniel Administrator Staff Member

VB is nice, but I cannot get used to their Admin area. I like how XenForo is very user friendly and easy to use.

- Daniel :)

4. Kyle Cannon

Kyle Cannon Member

+1, but they do have a new admin panel coming out. check this out: [​IMG]
    It actually looks way nicer!

5. Ashley.S.

Ashley.S. New Member

I choose XF, simply because it's lightweight, and is not a bloat software like VB4. I'm not a fan of IPB because I feel that the redirection screens can be a little slow at times (just like phpBB) but their UI is very nice. I won't comment on VB5 until I actually see it present on a LIVE forum since the VB4 build up held a lot of promise, but the software itself did not deliver IMHO!

6. Kyle Cannon

Kyle Cannon Member

I agree 100%, I honestly hope they do something good with this update though. But it looks a bit like Xenforo in my opinion from what i've seen.

Ashley.S. likes this.
  7. Ashley.S.

Ashley.S. New Member

They probably copied it :eek:

Kyle Cannon likes this.
  8. dotslash

dotslash New Member

I like XenForo, and we currently run XenForo. I do not like IPB because it has been problem-omatic to us, with it not being that much secure, it has open-holes in it and it doesn't take much to find them out. We had it live on our customer-community, and while we where working to see if we could link it in with our database for easier use with our customers, we personally found holes that where easy, so instantly, we changed over to XenForo, and XenForo has been very useful too us, and has plenty of options to work-with our needs and requirements on a business-level and personal-level, and plenty of add-ons available to add into XenForo.

I don't see many issues wrong with vBulletin, I always used vBulletin prior to finding out about XenForo; I had no issues with the Admin Area either, yeah its cluttered with alot of different options. But it's not hard to configure, setup, and manage, to me at least. I also enjoy the style and themes, add-ons, mods, and so on that are available for VB; it is just older and has been around much longer and with that exploit that came out a few years ago against VB alot of people to me, seemed to push it to the side.

XenForo, recently had one released and also where people where nulling the software for use without paying for it, which was later patched yeah, the only big difference I see between XenForo and VB that way, is that XenForo is on-top of their game and being sure to find out if anything is wrong, problems, and so on and they update it and fix it quickly, and always protect their work. As where VB takes a longer time to fix, and patch different things.

But personally. I like XenForo functionally, but I hate the style/theme of it.. I more enjoy the VB Look/Style, but wish it had the smooth-operational use as XenForo.

There is also plenty of other forum software that is available too, that are just as good as any of the ones listed here that you did not mention, that even some are provided by TMZVPS's cPanel Add-on One-Click Script Installer.

Ashley.S. likes this.
  9. Kyle Cannon

Kyle Cannon Member

I kind of think this goes back to a thing that has been brought up many years "A nice design, doesn't mean a good service/product" and I think that's where IPB gets a lot of people is by offering a great designed software that isn't that solid of a software.

10. dotslash

dotslash New Member

I'm glad you mentioned that, I was discussing this same exact quote earlier today with one of our team members about some interest we had with another company, that is currently under sale right now, and during the meet and greet with them, it's nicely designed, but the back-end is horrible. Debating is it worth our time :).

This applies too more then just some software :)

11. Big Dan

Big Dan New Member

I'm pretty much vBulletin only. I converted my biggest forum to Xenforo in March and converted back to vBulletin a couple months ago. Some of my members weren't big fans of XenForo and the lack of updates and/or even an idea of when updates are coming down the pipe really turned me off. If it were just managed properly Xenforo would be my #1.

vBulletin is currently the best solution for me. vB5 doesn't look promising but hopefully we'll see it production ready by 5.2.

Currently I'm running 3 vBulletin boards and 1 Xenforo board.

12. Allan

Allan New Member

With the release of xenforo 1.2 you might want to consider them.

13. JAFRI

JAFRI New Member

Hello, im new here. & this is my first post. first i use 2 year vBulletin 3, after upgrade vb4 & use 2 years, but i need something new so i import on xenforo :)